Cozy Chai Latte
The cold outside seems to have many of us reaching for a warm drink, often several times a day. While a hot chocolate or specialty coffee may provide temporary comfort from the weather, they often offer several unneeded components as well such as excess sugars and caffeine.
Here is a suggestion for a drink you can enjoy with friends that is not only delicious but is warm and loaded with antioxidants.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rice or almond milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 pieces of cloves
- 1/3 inch fresh ginger root, sliced
- 3 pieces whole peppercorns
- 1/3 tsp whole fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp whole cardamom seeds
- 2 tsp rooibos tea
- Honey or maple syrup to sweeten
This recipe was sourced from Marni Wasserman.
- Simmer all spices in 1 cup of water, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add the rooibos tea and milk and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly to a comfortable drinking temperature, and serve as it as is or with a natural sweetener of your choice.